Saturday, March 28, 2009

Later yesterday, I joined grad students from the Institute of Gender and Women's Studies and the political science department for dinner in Ma'adi. We discussed thesis research and our academic interests as well as life in Egypt while venting our frustrations about bureaucracy and classes at AUC.
Today, I was meant to join my host club to assist with a medical caravan, but no one ever returned my emails about directions or transportation, so I was unable to attend. Hopefully there will be other opportunities to volunteer alongside my host Rotarians in the future. Needless to say, I'm disappointed, but this isn't exactly the first time communication has broken down, so I've learned to roll with the punches.
I spent most of today trying to coax my draft thesis proposal into existence, breaking twice. I met an Australian friend to chat about religion and morality over coffee downtown and then later to have dinner and watch a movie with other friends.
By and large, I'm tired and frustrated with not having a clear understand of where to take this proposal. I have an idea I'm really excited about, but not sure how to go through the whole rigamarole of the thesis process. On top of that, there's lots of other work to be done for my methods and law classes and I have an upcoming presentation in Migration and Development. Luckily, spring break isn't too far off.

News:
Further reports of mistreatment of Dia' Eddin Gad
*
Conspiracy theorists claim that a killer text is felling Egyptian cell phone users
"Egypt cracks down on bloggers" from The Guardian Weekly

*I have heard but cannot confirm that Dia' Gad has been released and that news on the subject will be forthcoming.

No comments: