Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tasty Thai

I finally made it to the Thai restaurant my friend Erin had been trying to take us to since Ramadan, when we went there to find it closed. Unfortunately, Erin was feeling unwell, so Phil, Amanda, and I went just the three of us. The food was delicious and the company even better. I've now been here two months and it seems it's taken about that long to start to forge meaningful friendships out of fun acquaintances. After dinner, the three of us headed down to hang out by the river. I couldn't help but think of how amazing it was that our deep conversations, funny stories, and laughs were all taking place with Nile as the backdrop. I love those moments where I suddenly remember where it is I am. After Phil headed back to Ma'adi, I dragged Amanda to Metro Market where I stocked up on some juice from South Africa and the biggest size of halva they had (the 700g size instead of my usual 350g size, thus betraying my addiction). We then parted ways, heading to our different parts of Cairo, both having had one of those great nights that makes up for some of the harder Egypt days.
Tomorrow I'm meeting with the professor of my intro class to discuss possible paper topics and then later I have plans to attend a seminar on pandemic preparedness and healthcare in the Sudanese refugee communities in Cairo followed by an evening at Horreya with the speakers. Should be informative and fun!

News:
Egypt shows symbolic action on sexual harassment in court decision
Coptic pope back in Egypt after treatment in the US
"Balancing Tourism and History in Egypt"

No comments: