Monday, October 12, 2009

After encountering the frustrating email on graduation procedures and fees, I emailed a couple of AUC administrators. I have to say, I am impressed with their professionalism and competence. I received a response right away and follow-up emails today. I only wish that this level of responsiveness and efficiency existed throughout AUC's bureaucracy. Maybe one day.
The mysterious graduation fees were explained to me:

Graduation fees: cover to defray the cost of processing candidates for graduation, printing and conducting the commencement ceremonies. It also covers the cost of the diploma and its cover.

Participation in the commencement Ceremony is optional, but students must pay the graduation fee regardless of their attendance or absence.

The Alumni fees: covers services by Alumni such as the directory, career exploration and job posting information. It Also covers Alumni Communication via magazines and other printouts.

So, just as I'd feared, they're charging students for the commencement ceremony regardless of whether they show up. Ridiculous.

Other than this observation, I don't have much to share. I went to Marise's with Phil so we could all hang out and work on our theses. Otherwise, I've been rather pensive about the future as this chapter of my life is drawing to a close. I won't burden the reader with my existential musings, but I will say I'm a little surprised that I realize I'm going to miss Egypt more than I would've thought a couple of scant months ago.

News & Issues:

No comments: