Monday, August 3, 2009

Some news from my home away from home away from:

Lizards and explosives are causing some people to rethink flying EgyptAir, though I'll be taking the airline for the first time from Paris to Cairo in September. This article also quotes someone who's talking about the beefed-up security measures in Cairo at tourist-dense locations, like hotels. Let me assure you, hotels in Cairo are among the easiest places to circumvent metal detectors. Sometimes they aren't even on. As for EgyptAir, ma3lesh–I'd rather have a desert lizard aboard than a terrorist.

The Egyptian government is cracking down on advertising for illegal and uncertified drugs and cosmetic products. I hope that includes skin-whitening creams.

An Egyptian state security court will try 26 alleged Hezbollah operatives on the 23rd of this month.

According to a Pew survey, Obama's more popular in Egypt than in other Muslim countries.

1 comment:

Kate's Typewriter said...

hi there Carl,
I've been enjoying your blog for a while, as i am about to head to cairo for the dual IHRL/MRS grad program at AUC. it's been great to hear your perspective of the city. look forward to meeting you. :)
-Kate